|High Court||Kargil Chowk||Secretariate|
GANDHI MAIDAN: The Gandhi Maidan also named as Bankipore Maidan was dedicated to the memory of Gandhiji. This oval expanse was used for bivouac purpose at the time of the reign of East India Company. It was a race-course also at one time.
GANDHI SETU: Gandhi Setu is built over the river Ganga. The Ganga, especially, is the river of India, beloved of her people, round which are intertwined her memories, her hopes and fears, her songs of triumph, her victories and her defeats. She has been a symbol of India's age-long culture and civilization, ever changing, ever flowing, and yet ever the same Ganga.
HARDING PARK: The Park was built in the memory of the visit of Lord Hardinge in 1931, on twenty-five acres of land. There are extensive lowlands to the north of the Park which is the old river-bed of Sone. The Hardinge Park, renamed as Kunwar Singh Park after independence. It is still popularly known as Hardinge Park. The five-ton bronze statue of Lord Hardinge used to stand here during the British period. It has been shifted to the museum and has been kept in a room.
HIGH COURT: The Patna High Court was founded on the 3rd of February, 1916, opened
by Lord Hardinge. The High Court building follows that of the Allahabad High Court.
During the days when Bihar and Orissa were under the Presidency of Bengal, the court
of the entire region was the court of Bengal. Bihar and Orissa were separated on 22nd
March 1912 by a proclamation issued by the Governor-General. It was then that the need
for a High Court for this region was felt . All legal business of Bihar used to be carried
out in the Circle Meeting of Cuttack.
The first chief justice of Patna High Court was Sir Edward Maynard Des Champs Chemier.
The High Court building is one of the finest in India. The entrance hall has been artistically finished in marble. There is a huge dome and the massive marble parapet adds grandeur to the structure. In front of the entrance we have a beautiful laid out garden. Also, it is one of the first high court being computerised.
KARGIL CHOWK: The kargil chowk reminds us about the sacrifices of the brave soldiers of Bihar, who lost their life during kargil-war. The name of the brave soldiers are engraved and are as follows :-
SECRETARIAT: The Secretariat is located to the east
of the Raj Bhawan. It is from here that administrative works of the entire state
are carried out. It was built in 1913-17. A noted British company Martin and
Burns Ltd. constructed the building. The Secretariat was built during the
British period in order to facilitate the administrative work of different
secretaries of different offices.
This is the grandest building in Patna. The measurements are 716ft. X 356ft. There is a gap of 4 ft. between the concrete ceiling and the outer covering of Raniganj tiles, so that the room might not become too heated during the summer months. The bronze statue of the first Chief Minister, Srikrishna Sinha has been put up towards the western side of the lawn. On entering through the main door, one would first find the Speaker's room and the Chief Minister's chamber.